Enrollment Services


All students intending to enroll at Clark College are required to submit an application for admission. Application for admission is available on the Clark College website at www.clark.edu/quickstep.

Clark College admits anyone who is eighteen (18) years of age or a graduate of an accredited high school or the equivalent. Students who are (16) years of age or older may enroll in summer term. Applicants who are under the age of eighteen (18) and without a high school diploma or equivalent may be considered for admission. Refer to the Exception to Admission (Underage Policy) section for further details. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to a specific area of study. Some programs require additional applications and are limited or competitive-entry programs. See additional information under Health Occupations Programs.

Residency classifications for the purpose of tuition rates are determined by the length of time a student has been permanently living in the state of Washington. Please refer to the Residency Classifications section for detailed information.

New Student Admission

Students with no previous college experience must complete an admissions application. For more information please visit website at www.clark.edu/enroll/advising-services/index.php 

Transfer Student Admission

Students transferring from other colleges are required to submit an admissions application.

If a student intends to use previously earned credits/units toward a program at Clark College, an official transcript of their college records must be sent to Enrollment Services at the time of application for admission. Students may use previous coursework or course placement to meet the prerequisite for English and or Mathematics. Please visit www.clark.edu/assessment for additional information. All admission materials become the property of the college and will not be returned to the student or forwarded to another institution.

Returning Student Admission

Students who are returning to Clark College after an absence of four (4) or more terms must reapply for admission. Returning students are required to meet with an advisor before they may register for classes.

If a student has attended another college since their last enrollment at Clark College and wants to apply those credits/units to a Clark College program, an official transcript must be sent to Enrollment Services. All admission materials become the property of the college and will not be returned to the student or forwarded to another institution.

Running Start Admission


The Running Start program allows high school juniors and seniors to earn college credits/units while completing their high school education - saving students money while advancing their education. Students are able to attend college, at minimal cost, while still living at home as a high school student. 

Students are able to select courses that challenge them academically and provide real-world applications. Many students earn their associate’s degree and leave prepared to start a career or transfer to a four-year institution to pursue their bachelor’s degree. Students must complete an application for admission and meet requirements of the Running Start program. Visit www.clark.edu/runningstart for additional information.

International Student Admission


Clark College accepts qualified international students from around the world who wish to study in the U.S. using an F-1 student visa.

To be eligible for admission, applicants must submit the international student application form, application fee, and supplemental documents. International student admission information can be found on the International Programs web page: www.clark.edu/international.

Applicants must submit financial documentation with their application to prove that sufficient funds are available for their first year of study. Resources must cover cost of tuition, fees, books, medical insurance, living expenses, and transportation. Medical insurance while in the U.S. is mandatory and will be added to the student’s bill each term.

Exception to Admission (Underage Policy)


Clark College admits anyone who is at least 18 years of age, who is a graduate of an accredited high school or the equivalent, is a participant in Running Start, or participant in other approved programs designed for age-specific groups. Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the college for special consideration of underage individuals not participating in one of the above-mentioned programs. The college reserves the ultimate right to determine admission to the college and/or to enroll in certain classes.

Residency Classifications


To qualify for any of the residency classifications listed below, students must be U.S. citizens, permanent resident, refugees, or non-immigrant resident with visa classifications of A, E, G, H, I, K, or L.

Residency Classification Definitions

  • Washington In-State Resident: A person who meets the qualifications of citizenship, has been living in the state of Washington for a minimum of 12 months prior to the beginning of the term, and has taken actions to declare Washington as their state of permanent residence.
  • Washington Non-Resident Waiver: A person who meets the qualifications of citizenship and who has been living in the state of Washington for more than one day prior to the beginning of the term.
  • Non-Resident: A person who resides outside of the state of Washington and does not qualify for the Oregon Border Waiver; a person who does not submit the required documents for the Washington Residency Reclassification Application, Washington Non-Resident Waiver, Oregon Border Waiver or Oregon Border Opportunity Waiver.
  • Non-Resident Refugee: A person who holds Refugee-Parolee status and has established a domicile in Washington before the first day of the term.
  • Non-Citizen: A person who does not meet the qualifications of citizenship, regardless of their length of time domiciled in the state of Washington.
  • Oregon Border Waiver: A person who meets the qualifications of citizenship and who has been living in one of the 13 qualifying Oregon border counties for a minimum of 90 days prior to the beginning of the term.
  • Oregon Border Opportunity Waiver (HB1474): A person who meets the qualifications of citizenship, was living in a qualifying Oregon border county for at least 90 days immediately prior to moving to Washington state, has been living in Washington for less than 12 months, and has taken all steps to declare Washington as their state of permanent residence.
  • Qualifying Oregon Border Counties: Columbia, Gilliam, Hood River, Multnomah, Clatsop, Clackamas, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco, or Washington.

Applying for Residency Reclassification

Students are granted residency classification based on the information provided on the initial admissions application. The student is responsible for submitting the appropriate application and supporting documentation to have residency reviewed for a reclassification to a new category. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are required to submit a copy of their permanent resident card or I-94 for reclassification consideration. All residency reclassification requests and documentation are accepted until the 30th calendar day of the term. The college has ten (10) business days to review a completed application before making a decision on the reclassification request. If the application is approved, adjustments to the tuition will be applied to the term for which the reclassification was submitted. If the application materials are incomplete or received after the 30th calendar date of the term, the request will be reviewed for the following term. Residency changes are not retroactive.

Supporting documentation is defined in two categories: proof of physical presence and proof of intent to remain in the state of Washington. Students applying for reclassification will be asked to provide these documents as part of their application materials. Acceptable types of documents are listed below.

  • Proof of Physical Presence (one document required, showing at least 12 months)   
    • Copy of mortgage closing statement for the home in which the student resides;  
    • Copy of a rental/lease agreement for the home in which the student resides; or
    • Copy of rental receipts or mortgage payment receipts for the home in which the student resides.
  • Proof of Intent to Remain (three documents required, each showing at least 12 months)
    • Valid Washington driver’s license;
    • Valid Washington voter registration;
    • Valid Washington vehicle registration (not title);
    • Proof of permanent full-time employment; or
    • Verification of checking, savings or safe deposit box accounts located at a bank in Washington.

* Note that the Oregon Border Opportunity Waiver also requires proof of Oregon border county residency in addition to the documents listed above. The Washington Non-Resident Waiver requires one piece of documentation from the list above, while the Oregon Border Waiver requires one piece of documentation from the list above from Oregon rather than from Washington. For additional details, refer to the directions on the application forms.

The forms are available online at http://www.clark.edu/enroll/admissions/admission_forms.php or visit Enrollment Services in Gaiser Hall room 128.

  • Washington Residency Reclassification Form: Used to apply for in-state status by those who did not reside in Washington State for at least 12 months prior to enrolling at Clark College.
  • Border County Opportunity Application HB1474: Used to apply for in-state status by those who qualify under the Oregon Border Opportunity Waiver guidelines.
  • Washington Non-Resident Waiver: Used to apply for the waiver by those who originally applied for admissions with a non-Washington state address and who have since moved to Washington and established a residency.
  • Oregon Border Waiver: Used to apply for the waiver by those who are residing in a qualifying Oregon border county.

Washington residency is governed by RCW.28B-15, RCW 46.16.028, RCW 46.20.021, WAC 250-18, and WAC 208-104-006. Contact  Enrollment Services at 360-992-2107 with any questions regarding your residency status or how to apply for a reclassification. You can also visit Enrollment Services in Gaiser Hall room 128. 

HB 1079 (Undocumented Person) Waiver

Effective April 2022, Washington state law was changed to qualify certain students who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States as eligible to pay resident tuition rates. To be eligible to sign this affidavit, you must:

  • Earn a high school diploma, GED®, or diploma equivalent from anywhere in the United States before your first term at the college determining residency, and
  • Maintain a primary residency in Washington for at least 12 consecutive months immediately before your first term at the college determining residency. The Washington residence must be for purposes other than college. If you take any courses at another Washington college during the prior 12 months, you cannot have taken more then six credits/units in any given term. If you exceed that limit you must prove that you have a Washington residence for non-college reason.

Active Duty Military

Active duty military stationed in the state of Washington, as well as their spouses and dependents, qualify as residents for tuition purposes. At the time spouses or dependent family members apply for admission, documentation such as a copy of the military ID card or other appropriate documents must be presented.

Washington National Guard

Washington National Guard members, as well as their spouses and dependents, qualify for resident tuition as long as they are domiciled in Washington.

Veterans Tuition Exemption

  • Washington state provides a 25% discount for tuition at public colleges and universities for all veterans. The veteran must provide a DD214 to the Veterans Center of Excellence to qualify.
  • The Washington state 100% tuition waiver allows a 100% totally and permanently disabled (as awarded by the Veterans Administration), veterans spouse or child to be granted 100% tuition and a small book stipend to attend Washington State schools such as Clark College. Requirements for eligibility as well as a link to the RCW (Washington Law) that governs this waiver: ​
  • To qualify for this waiver please provide the following to veterans@clark.edu : 
    • Veterans valid WA state issued ID or Driver’s License or bill in veterans name with WA state address to verify residency 
    • Students valid WA state issued ID or Driver’s License or bill in students name with WA state address to verify residency 
    • Complete and return attached 100% waiver application 
    • Provide a copy of the Veterans 100% disability award letter from the VA. 
    • Provide a copy of the Veteran’s DD-214 

Tuition Waivers

Most tuition waiver guidelines and charges are set by the Washington state legislature and may change on an annual basis. Those eligible for waivers are listed below, under the departments that serve them.

  • Enrollment Services
    • Clark College employee
    • Classified state employee or Washington Public Higher Education employee
    • Senior Waiver
    • Children of deceased law enforcement officer or firefighter
    • Children and spouse of totally disabled, or POW/MIA, or deceased eligible veterans, or National Guard members
    • Native American Waiver
    • Washington Non-Resident Waiver
    • Oregon Border County Waiver
    • Non-Resident Refugee Waiver
    • Apprentice
    • Vocational 18+ credits/units
    • Dislocated forest products workers or their unemployed spouses
    • Wrongfully convicted individual, their children and stepchildren
    • Running Start
  • High School Completion Office
    • High school completion
  • Veterans Resource Center
    • Military personnel
  • Running Start Office
    • Running Start

Course Placement


Course placement is an important step toward student success. Prior to accessing placement services, students must complete an application for admission. Many courses at Clark College have placement prerequisites for English and Mathematics ability. The course that students place into determines how they progress through their program of study and how long their degree will take.  We have a variety of ways to assess skills, and one method may not work for all. Visit www.clark.edu/assessment for more information on available placement and retesting options.

Distance Learning Proctoring

The Assessment Center provides proctoring services for students taking distance learning or correspondence courses. There is a fee for this service. Contact the Assessment Center at 360-992-2588 to discuss available proctoring options or visit http://www.clark.edu/enroll/admissions/assessment/proctoring.php to download a proctor request form.

High School+


Begun in 2015, High School+ is a program that helps students earn their high school diplomas in a more timely and convenient way than was previously available. The High School+ curriculum combines basic skills coursework with more rigorous academic education and training so that students can upgrade their skills while working toward a high school credential. The coursework is listed in the schedule as College and Academic Preparation (CAP). CAP is designed both to help students earn their high school diploma and/or prepare for the GED® exam. In addition, the coursework can help students who have already completed high school or the GED® but who need to improve their academic skills before entering into their program of study at Clark College.

Adults interested in participating in the High School+ program will need to apply for admission, submit their high school transcripts, take the CASAS test, and meet with the High School Completion Advisor prior to beginning their classes.

General Educational Development (GED®) Testing

Clark College is an official General Educational Development (GED®) testing site. The GED® tests provide a high school credential to adults who have not graduated from a traditional high school. Participants in GED® testing may go on to further their education at Clark College following the examination process or can participate in traditional college classes while completing the GED tests.

The GED® test is designed for adults who are 19 years old or older and who have not received a traditional high school diploma. Examinees who are 16 to 18 years old and wish to take the GED test must provide a high school release form from the school district in which they live.

The GED® examinations are given in the following four (4) subject areas:

  • Social Studies 
  • Science
  • Mathematics
  • Language Arts

Successful completion of each of these examinations leads to the issuance of a GED® certificate.

The GED® test is now offered in a computer-based format. In order to begin the process of obtaining a GED®, participants may register online at https://GED.com/. The GED® test must still be taken in person at an official GED® testing center.