Early Childhood Education
Work in programs for young children is a challenging, absorbing, and personally rewarding career. In Clark College's Early Childhood Education program, students study child development and program organization, plan learning experiences for young children, and develop guidance skills in working with children.
The Early Childhood Education (ECE) department offers various certificates of achievement. As part of each certificate program, students are required to complete prescribed numbers of hours doing student teaching and/or observation in the Child and Family Studies program under the supervision of selected staff as well as in the community at large.
Programs are revised periodically to reflect changes in the specific career field. The following list of courses is an example of the coursework required for each program. Students planning to complete this program must meet with an advisor prior to registration for a current list of requirements.
Students must complete all Major Area Requirements and specifically listed courses with a minimum grade of "C" or better in order to successfully complete the program and earn the award.
Refer to the Degree & Certificate Requirements Section of the Clark College Catalog to identify the courses needed to satisfy the General Education Requirements.
Students preparing to transfer should make an early decision and contact the four-year school to which they will transfer. The Early Childhood Education Advisors can help in planning a schedule based on the four-year school's requirements.
Students must be able to pass a Criminal History screening to participate with the children in the ECE lab school. Participation in the ECE lab is a requirement for taking classes in ECE program. Students are also required to get a TB test or provide written proof that they have had one within the last year.
- State Initial Early Childhood Education Certificate (Statewide) (CC)
- Short State Early Childhood Education Certificate of Specialization-General (Statewide) (CC)
- Short State Certificate of Specialization-Infants and Toddlers (Statewide) (CC)
- Short State Certificate of Specialization-School Age Care (Statewide) (CC)
- Short State Certificate of Specialization-Family Child Care (Statewide) (CC)
- Short State Certificate of Specialization-Administration (statewide) (CC)
- State Early Childhood Education Certificate (Statewide) (CP)
- Early Childhood Education (AAS)
- Early Childhood Education (AAS-T)