Cuisine Fundamentals (CA)
Academic Plans, known as programs, include a overview description and a summary of program requirements. You can search the online catalog via the the Academic Plan links on the right for a desired program or a specific course information.
This program is designed to provide a solid foundation of necessary skills and practices for entry level employment.
|Major Area Requirements|
|CUIS 110||CULINARY FUNDAMENTALS I||5|
|CUIS 111||PROFESSIONAL COOKING I||8|
|CUIS 120||CULINARY FUNDAMENTALS II||5|
|CUIS 121||PROFESSIONAL COOKING II||8|
|CUIS 130||CULINARY FUNDAMENTALS III||5|
|CUIS 131||PROFESSIONAL COOKING III||8|
|Specialized Short courses|
|Select a minimum of four credits/units from the following:||4|
|CLASSIC AND MODERN SOUPS AND SAUCES (2 credits/units)|
|MEAT CUTTING AND FABRICATION (3 credits/units)|
|WINE, BEER, SPIRITS AND FOOD PAIRINGS (2 credits/units)|
|RESTAURANT BAKING (2 credits/units)|
|BANQUET AND BUFFET PLANNING AND EXECUTION (2 credits/units)|
|WINE APPRECIATION (3 credits/units)|
To learn more about this program's employment outlook, approximate cost and potential careers, please visit the Gainful Employment Program Information page.
Program outcomes are overarching skills that are emphasized and reinforced throughout several courses in a specific program; they are measurable statements that define what students should know or be able to do by the end of a certificate or degree at Clark College. After successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply the basics of classical, modern, and healthy cooking techniques.
- Identify and describe a variety of food ingredients and specifications with focus on sustainable, organic, nutritional needs; specialty diets; and aspects of vegetarian and veganism.
- Demonstrate proper kitchen sanitation, safety and professionalism in the workplace.
- Identify and demonstrate proper use of kitchen tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate basic measuring, conversion, food costing and yield management practices.
- Demonstrate cook to order practices with American and International cuisine.
- Apply teamwork, workplace ethics, customer service and communications in the workplace.